IHTFree is an inheritance tax consultancy, offering advice to minimise the burden of inheritance tax to their clients. They were a new startup when they came to me, and the brief was for branding to stand out from an extremely conservative crowd, then develop a website and printed materials to move into this marketplace. I took a look at the marketplace, and there was a great sea of dark blue booklets with gold leaf lettering, conservative, serif fonts, usually with a coat of arms featuring somewhere. Seriously old school, and very “old boy network”.
I worked closely with the client, and we decided to take a fresh approach to directly counter the prevalent themes in the market, with a blue-sky, natural theme:
- the logo was a leaf progressively aging
- the imagery was focussed on 3 generations of a family, clearly corresponding to the logo
- the overall theme was fresh and white
- fonts were all sans-serif
- a light, airy, easy to read feel was created for the whole site